Re: [Orgmode] POLL: the 40 variables project

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] POLL: the 40 variables project
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 23:15:07 +0100

Wow, thanks to Manish for a hard job well done.
Now is the time for data mining!  Enjoy!

- Carsten

On Feb 1, 2009, at 9:55 PM, Manish wrote:

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

[snip: table formula help (22 lines)]
Anyhow, I will try and add additional results to the data if we get more

And please use the default values to clean out "configurations" to the
default.

Hello Carsten/List,

Here are the final set of results after three days of polling.

1. Total respondents                      : 36

2. No. of customizations reported        : 887 (minus faces)

3. Avg. no. of customizations/respondent : 24.6

4. No. of unique variables customized    : 260 (give or take a few to
                                           account for faces etc.)

5. Percentge of variables customized     : ~ 69% (when total 377)

6. Percentage of variables customized by
  at least more than one person         : ~ 36% (135/377)

Following table lists those variables (total 78) that have been
customized to non-default values by at least three users (threshold
decided to limit the size of the table.)

|---------------------------------------+-----------------------|
|                                       | No. of times reported |
| Variable                              | *not* same as default |
|---------------------------------------+-----------------------|
| org-log-done                          |                    22 |
| org-todo-keywords                     |                    22 |
| org-agenda-files                      |                    21 |
| org-agenda-start-on-weekday           |                    19 |
| org-hide-leading-stars                |                    19 |
| org-remember-templates                |                    19 |
| org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-done     |                    18 |
| org-agenda-include-diary              |                    17 |
| org-agenda-skip-deadline-if-done      |                    16 |
| org-use-fast-todo-selection           |                    16 |
| org-agenda-custom-commands            |                    15 |
| org-default-notes-file                |                    15 |
| org-special-ctrl-a/e                  |                    14 |
| org-agenda-sorting-strategy           |                    13 |
| org-fast-tag-selection-single-key     |                    12 |
| auto-mode-alist                       |                    11 |
| org-agenda-window-setup               |                    11 |
| org-stuck-projects                    |                    11 |
| org-mode-hook                         |                    10 |
| org-refile-targets                    |                    10 |
| org-completion-use-ido                |                     9 |
| org-directory                         |                     9 |
| org-return-follows-link               |                     9 |
| org-blank-before-new-entry            |                     8 |
| org-columns-default-format            |                     8 |
| org-enforce-todo-dependencies         |                     8 |
| org-tag-alist                         |                     8 |
| org-reverse-note-order                |                     7 |
| org-drawers                           |                     7 |
| org-export-with-LaTeX-fragments       |                     7 |
| org-publish-project-alist             |                     7 |
| org-special-ctrl-k                    |                     7 |
| org-tags-column                       |                     7 |
| org-export-html-style                 |                     6 |
| org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled      |                     6 |
| org-modules                           |                     6 |
| org-refile-use-outline-path           |                     6 |
| org-deadline-warning-days             |                     5 |
| org-startup-folded                    |                     5 |
| org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date      |                     5 |
| org-archive-location                  |                     5 |
| org-clock-persist                     |                     5 |
| org-export-latex-classes              |                     5 |
| org-global-properties                 |                     5 |
| org-id-method                         |                     5 |
| org-odd-levels-only                   |                     5 |
| org-agenda-ndays                      |                     4 |
| org-agenda-restore-windows-after-quit |                     4 |
| org-agenda-skip-timestamp-if-done     |                     4 |
| org-agenda-tags-column                |                     4 |
| org-agenda-time-grid                  |                     4 |
| org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines      |                     4 |
| org-archive-save-context-info         |                     4 |
| org-clock-in-resume                   |                     4 |
| org-clock-in-switch-to-state          |                     4 |
| org-default-priority                  |                     4 |
| org-link-abbrev-alist                 |                     4 |
| org-lowest-priority                   |                     4 |
| org-remember-insinuate                |                     4 |
| org-time-stamp-rounding-minutes       |                     4 |
| org-todo-keyword-faces                |                     4 |
| org-todo-state-tags-triggers          |                     4 |
| org-goto-interface                    |                     3 |
| org-use-tag-inheritance               |                     3 |
| org-agenda-exporter-settings          |                     3 |
| org-agenda-prefix-format              |                     3 |
| org-agenda-skip-unavailable-files     |                     3 |
| org-clock-history-length              |                     3 |
| org-clock-out-remove-zero-time-clocks |                     3 |
| org-combined-agenda-icalendar-file    |                     3 |
| org-email-link-description-format     |                     3 |
| org-export-mark-todo-in-toc           |                     3 |
| org-fontify-done-headline             |                     3 |
| org-icalendar-store-UID               |                     3 |
| org-link-frame-setup                  |                     3 |
| org-remember-default-headline         |                     3 |
| org-time-stamp-custom-formats         |                     3 |
| org-use-fast-tag-selection            |                     3 |
|---------------------------------------+-----------------------|

Finally, the top tweaker ranking has changed. :)

|-----+-----------------------+------------------|
|     | *Respondent*          | *Customizations* |
|-----+-----------------------+------------------|
|  1. | Rainer Stengele       |               66 |
|  2. | Fredrich Fredrichs    |               64 |
|  3. | Bernt Hansen          |               60 |
|  4. | Sebastian Rose        |               52 |
|  5. | Matthew Lundin        |               52 |
|  6. | James TD Smith        |               47 |
|  7. | Carsten Domink        |               44 |
|  8. | John Wiegley          |               39 |
|  9. | Ulf Stegeman          |               38 |
| 10. | Austin Frank          |               38 |
| 11. | Manuel Hermengildo    |               32 |
| 12. | Chris Leyon           |               29 |
| 13. | Ross Patterson        |               26 |
| 14. | Paul Mead             |               26 |
| 15. | Dan Griswold          |               26 |
| 16. | Stephan Schmitt       |               25 |
| 17. | William Henney        |               24 |
| 18. | Peter Jones           |               21 |
| 19. | Martin Stemplinger    |               20 |
| 20. | Michael Ekstrand      |               20 |
| 21. | Eric Schulte          |               16 |
| 22. | Cameron Horsburgh     |               15 |
| 23. | Christian Egli        |               14 |
| 24. | Eric S. Fraga         |               13 |
| 25. | Tassilo Horn          |               11 |
| 26. | Steven Harris         |               11 |
| 27. | Oliver Charles        |               10 |
| 28. | Giovani Ridolfi       |                9 |
| 29. | Hsui-Kheurn Tang      |                8 |
| 30. | Dan Davison           |                8 |
| 31. | Scott Randby          |                6 |
| 32. | Sivaraman Neelakantan |                6 |
| 33. | Don Womick            |                4 |
| 34. | Mikael Fornius        |                3 |
| 35. | Shaun Johnson         |                2 |
| 36. | Scot Becker           |                2 |
|-----+-----------------------+------------------|

I am attaching the latest raw data in case anyone wants to play with
it to extract some more nuggets of insights or see what non-default
values were used etc.

Dan, thank you for the R code snippets.  I could use some of it and
rest frustrated me (due to my miniscule R knowledge.. so far.)  So I
did some of it in Excel.

Finally, thanks to everyone who responded (conspicuously missing were
Charles Cave, Russell Adams, Adam Spiers, Bastien, Leo, Eddward
DeVilla... .)  It has been an awesome thread so far, a gold mine of
ideas and (for me) a chance to peek into the ways of working of people
way more prodcutive than I.

Thank you all
--
Manish

PS: Carsten has already started another thread to discuss changing the
defaults.
<variable-popcon.org>