Re: [Orgmode] POLL: the 40 variables project

From: Dan Davison
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] POLL: the 40 variables project
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 16:02:10 -0500

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 11:26:37PM +0530, Manish wrote:

< ... >

> I am collating the information in the following format.
>
> | Submitter | Variable | Value | Comment |
>
> Further analyses like which were the most commonly customized variables,
> their values etc. can then be derived from the listing (may be using R

Hi Manish,

If your results table is named with
#+TBLNAME:org-variables-table
then you can create a table of counts for each org variable with

#+TBLR: columns:2 action:tabulate table:org-variables-table

That will be sorted alphabetically on variable name. To have it sorted
by the counts you could use

#+TBLR: table:org-variables-table
#+TBLRR: x <- sort(table(x[,2]), decreasing=TRUE)

And to restrict it to the top 30 that would be
#+TBLRR: x <- sort(table(x[,2]), decreasing=TRUE)[1:30]

http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~davison/software/org-table-R/org-tblR.el

Dan

(You need to have ess-mode installed, and have R running with M-x
R. Then issue org-table-R-apply with point in the above lines.)

(And with the obvious alteration you can rank the survey respondents in
terms of how hardcore our org customizations are...)