[Orgmode] Re: Advice sought on managing decision alternatives.

From: Tom Breton (Tehom)
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Advice sought on managing decision alternatives.
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 17:11:33 -0500 (EST)

> P.S. What is you copyright status with the FSF?

I believe I'm already good to go.  A few years back when I contributed
some code to emacs' lread.c, RMS had me sign and send the letter that
legally enabled FSF to include it.  IIUC, that step only has to be
done once for any code contributor.

> Your add-on defines a setup function which is actually a *filter*
> function.

OK, sounds good.  And makes it a bit easier to test.

> The interaction type does very little indeed inside Org, it
> only decides if a cycling command should go to the next
> step (sequence) or jump to the first DONE state (type).
> I think we should treat any other interaction types like
> "sequence" in this respect.

Here it would also distinguish chosenness from the other
interpretations, but that would be entirely inside org-decisions.el.

> I will then add hooks wherever you need them, they will
> be called whenever a TODO keyword changes and your code
> can react to it.

OK.

> One important precaution would be to make sure that one does
> not end up in infinite loops, so maybe when the hook is called,
> bind it dynamically to a nil value while you mess around with
> with the status of the siblings.  Maybe do the same thing with
> the variables that trigger time stamp and note recording.

Right.  I had already planned to let the hooks to nil; I will do the
same for the time stamp and note recording variables.

Thanks for the advice.  I will code it up and send it.

Tom Breton (Tehom)