Re: [Orgmode] Re: Link to heading in another org file

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Link to heading in another org file
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 18:47:58 +0100

On Jan 18, 2009, at 10:26 AM, Tassilo Horn wrote:

Hi Carsten,

Under "Activation", the manual also states:

,-----
| Add the following lines to your `.emacs' file. The last three lines | define _global_ keys for the commands `org-store-link', `org- agenda',
| and `org-iswitchb' - please choose suitable keys yourself.
|
| ;; The following lines are always needed. Choose your own keys.
|     (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org\\'" . org-mode))
|     (global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
|     (global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
|     (global-set-key "\C-cb" 'org-iswitchb)
`-----

I do not want to re-iterate this information each time I talk about
one of the global commands.

I see. But wouldn't it then be better to talk about the functions then,
not about global keys the manual suggests?

Maybe it would, but the entire Org-mode documentation is based
on keys rather than function names.  I find that the long function
names make Emacs documentation in written form less readable
for users who do not want to deal with Lisp themselves.  Org's manual
is similar in this to the Emacs manual, and if you compare this
way o writing for example with the planner manual, it does read
a lot better for my taste.

So, OK, I will make another remark that this key binding is user
chosen, but I will keep it in the manual like this.

- Carsten