Re: [Orgmode] Refile as top-level headlines?

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Refile as top-level headlines?
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 13:37:53 +0100

On Jan 14, 2009, at 4:49 PM, Matthew Lundin wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have a lot of org-files and use org-refile all the time as part of
my normal workflow. My basic approach is to remember things to an
inbox.org file and then to process the inbox GTD-style.

One thing I'm having a hard time figuring out is how to refile headers
as top level headlines in a target file. I've customized org-refile
with the following settings:

,----
| (setq org-refile-use-outline-path 'file)
| (setq org-refile-targets '((org-agenda-files :maxlevel . 1)
|                            (nil :maxlevel . 3)))
`----

(Note: the second setting in org-refile-targets gives me additional,
deeper targets in whatever file I'm visiting.)

What I'd like to see is for maxlevel to include the possibility of
filing an item as a top-level headline (at the bottom of the file).

Hmmm, how would you like the interface to work?  Just have an entry
in the list that is only the file name? And if it is only a single file,
just replying with the empty string?

- Carsten

This would make it easier to create new top-level projects directly
from my inbox. Otherwise, if the item I'm refiling doesn't naturally
fit under any of the existing top level headlines in the target file,
I have to (1) copy it by hand or (2) create a inbox heading in the
target file, which I then have to empty again as part of a separate
process (tedious with many org files).

Perhaps this desired behavior is already possible. Any advice would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt