[Orgmode] Minor latex export issue

From: Matthew Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Minor latex export issue
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:17:56 -0600

I'm have a *minor* issue to report. It occurs when I export an org
file with footnotes to LaTeX. Specifically, it has to do with the
combination of American style quotation marks and footnotes.

According to many American manuals of style, quotation marks are to be
placed after a sentence ending period if the quoted passage is at the
end of the sentence. E.g.

,----
| Here is "a quote."
|
| not
|
| Here is "a quote".
`----

When I use American style quotation in conjuction with a footnote,
the exporter does not convert the closing quote marks into a two
single quotation marks (i.e., LaTeX smart quotes).

Thus, the following source snippet:

,----
| This is a footnote "with a quote."[fn:sample] And here is another
| footnote "with a quote".[fn:another]
|
| [fn:sample] Here is the sample footnote.
|
| [fn:another] Another footnote.
`----

Becomes

,----
| This is a footnote ``with a quote."\footnote{Here is the sample
|   footnote. } And here is another footnote ``with a
| quote''.\footnote{Another footnote. }
`----

Notice the double quotation mark (rather than two single apostrophes)
at the end of the first sentence. Notice also the correct quotation
mark format appears in the second sentence, where the period comes
after the quotation mark.

Obviously, it is simple enough to fix this with a query-replace after
the export, but I thought I'd report the issue nonetheless, as it
interferes with immediate output to PDF.

Thanks,

Matt