Re: [Orgmode] Footnotes and org-export, revisited

From: Scot Becker
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Footnotes and org-export, revisited
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:29:58 +0000

I'm impressed at how the new footnote support has managed to put together readability, stability, ease of use and export-ability (including the ability to refer to a footnote multiple times!) .  I have seen no problems in my initial tests, and will do more extensive (can I break anything?) tests as soon as I have the chance.

I think that 'org' is now the only plain-text minimal markup engine to support both inline and out-of-line footnotes, and I'm quite sure that none of the others have numbered, labeled, and inline footnotes.  And as for ease of use, well any comparison is unfair.  The rest are just language specifications and processing engines, they offer no help in the writing.

I'm shocked and pleased at how Carsten (with input from the contributors to this thread) managed to make a somewhat ragged and even contradictory wishlist into something this elegant and easy to use.

Scot