[Orgmode] How to pause the relative timer

From: Alan E. Davis
Subject: [Orgmode] How to pause the relative timer
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 00:30:58 +1000

I jumped into some elisp, and eventually I might get it, but while I think I'm close, my vacation is over, and I'm going to call "uncle".

Here is some crummy code I started putting together to try to pause the relative timer in org-timer.el.  Can someone give me a nudge, and suggest what's wrong?  (Lot's, I'll wager!).  I get the message "time-to-seconds: Symbol's function definition is void: org-pause-timer-time" when running org-aed-pause-timer-start after setting with org-aed-pause-timer-pause.  I'll bet there are better ways to do this.  I'll figure it out when I have time.

-------------------%--------------
(defvar org-pause-timer-time nil
  "t=X for stopped timer.")

(defun org-aed-pause-timer-pause ()
  "Set the time at pause to a variable for later recovery
in org-aed-pause-timer-start"
  (interactive)
  (let (org-pause-timer-time (current-time))))

(defun org-aed-pause-timer-start ()
  "Recover pause start time, do the math, and restart at the new time"
  (interactive)
  (insert (format
       org-timer-format
       (org-timer-secs-to-hms
        (floor
         (- (time-to-seconds (current-time))
        (time-to-seconds (org-pause-timer-time))))))))

I have a plan, beyond the mere and obvious utility of being able to pause the timer.  With some help, I've burgled some code and gotten a function to start vlc asynchronously on  a video file from dired.  Eventually, I want to figure out how to pause the vlc process, and pause the org-mode timer at the same time.

It just occurred to me, however, that it would be even more interesting to pause the video player and org-mode's timer would put the pause time into the buffer, to accept a note.  Hmmm...  FOr that I have to figure out how to remotely pause vlc and restart.  Of course, this kind of project could easily get out of hand.  I'm afraid it's beyond my programming ability, but it's already interesting.

Frivolous?  If anyone wants to look at the "dired-vlc.el" code, I'll send it, but I would think it's beyond this list's boundaries of interest (if that's possible).

Thanks for Org-mode, and thanks for being patient.

Alan

--
Alan Davis

"It's never a matter of liking or disliking ..."
      ---Santa Ynez Chumash Medicine Man