Re: [Orgmode] Best Way to Submit a Patch

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Best Way to Submit a Patch
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 07:02:19 +0100

Hi Ian,

there is lots of GIT documentation on the web. Here is a short way to do what you want.

1. get the latest changes

   git pull

2. create a branch for you to do your changes

   git checkout -b my-doc-fixed

3. Edit the file you want to change

   $ emacs ....
   $ emacs ....

4. Commit the changes when you feel like it

   git add doc/org.texi
   git commit

5. Create a patch

   git diff master > send-to-carsten.patch

   Do this only after committing all changes.

   git checkout master

This all works fine when you don't pull new changes while
working on your patch.  If Org changes while you do your work,
you can do this:

- commit your changes as described above.
- switch back to master

  git checkout master

- get new changes

  git pull

- return to your branch

  git checkout my-doc-fixes

- make sure your changes are made relative to the current, new master:

  git rebase master

- continue working on your patches.

The only problem here is that git rebase can fail if there is overlap,
so my recommendation for he beginner is to just use the workflow
shown above.

- Carsten

P.S. I am *not* a GIT guru, I hope others will correct me if anything should be done differently.