Re: [Orgmode] Re: Git recommendations

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Git recommendations
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 22:10:37 +0100

Linh Dang <address@hidden> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrgdev <at> googlemail.com> writes:
>

>> I've just spent a short time giving the crash test dummy procedure to a
>> few git interfaces for emacs. All have their benefits. A lot have their
>> negatives, But my immediate favourite for anyone thinking of using emacs
>> interface to git for org is the following:
>>
>> http://tsgates.cafe24.com/git/git-emacs.html#sec1
>>
>> It doesn't come with a lot of default key bindings but the two most
>> important for those familiar with vc-backend are there:
>>
>> C-x v v
>> and
>> C-x v =
>
> egg's file-oriented minor-mode also has those 2 mappings (as well as
> other vc main keys such as C-x v u, C-x vl, etc.)
>

>> git-diff interfaces nicely to ediff.
>
> if the egg's status buffer, if you type [RET] at a conflicting delta
> (after a merge/rebase), egg will launch ediff3 to let you resolve the
> conflict.
>
>> magit and egg tend to
>> git-status centric as opposed to file centric.
>
> egg is has minor-mode which is fairly file-oriented. egg's "C-x v v"
> sequence is customizable to match your personal workflow
>
>> emacs-git is a nice
>> mixture. It palms off the log/history interface to gitk - no need to
>> reinvent the wheel.
>
> egg uses the log buffer to do branch/tag creation/deletion as well
> as pull/push/fetch etc.
>
> http://github.com/bogolisk/egg/wikis
>

>> Simple, powerful, extensible. Recommended.
>>
>> Oh, but missing staging .... which magit and egg support but vc-git,
>> git.el and emacs-git do not. I think ...
>
> magit and egg main raison-d'etre was exactly that: hunk-by-hunk
> staging/unstaging.
>

> I haven't touch egg for a while and of course I'm biased.

Since then I discovered DVC.

http://richardriley.net/default/projects/emacs/dvc/tutorial/index

It's a shame so much effort is going into so many disjoint projects in
my view. They all cover different subsets and none appear to have a
large enough following to ensure interest and hence maintenance. Time
will tell.