Re: [Orgmode] getting org-goto to work with ido

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] getting org-goto to work with ido
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 10:59:21 +0100

Hi Samuel,

On Nov 23, 2008, at 10:13 PM, Samuel Wales wrote:

Hi Carsten,

Thanks for the release.

ido.el works very well for org-refile.

 (setf org-refile-use-outline-path nil)
 (setq org-refile-targets '((org-agenda-files . (:maxlevel . 5))))

org-goto does not work, but can be made to work.

 (setf org-goto-auto-isearch nil)
 (setf org-goto-interface 'outline-path-completion)

To get it to work, I changed org.el's org-goto to remove the
line that contains "        (org-refile-use-outline-path t)".

What I don't like about this setup is that you may have similar
headlines in different places, and no way to see which is which.

If you pull the newest version, you have now an interesting alternative:

Restore the line in org-goto that you removed, and then do

(setq org-outline-path-complete-in-steps nil)

Then targets for org-goto will still be identified by their entire
path, in this way removing disambiguates,  but you can then use
single-step completion to match the entire path, using ido if you wish.

By setting the variable, you will get the same interface in org-refile,
if you set org-refile-use-outline-path back to t.

Wow, this is *really* fast.

Maybe we should phase out the old org-goto interface that uses outline drilling. Maybe I should start by setting the default for org-goto-interface to outline-path-completion.
Any thoughts about such a change?

- Carsten