[Orgmode] Does this happen to you? Aquamacs messes with you! (but I stil

From: Ben Alexander
Subject: [Orgmode] Does this happen to you? Aquamacs messes with you! (but I still like my Mac)
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 10:04:24 +0000

I normally use Aquamacs. It's very pretty, and uses the mouse without having to start an X server. But I'm starting to get a bit cheesed about all the things that don't work with org-mode (I have FINALLY got a fixed width font for the tab bar, so my column mode headings line up with the text in the buffer!!!)

New problem: I have a very simple org mode buffer

* TODO Mealplans
** Mealplan Fri

If I go into column view and my cursor is the beginning of the file and I hit the down arrow, my cursor moves to the beginning of the next column (From the default column of ITEM to TODO). This happens everywhere, somewhat randomly.

I switched to the command line version of emacs, and this didn't happen.

My first thought was to check keyboard bindings. In emacs C-n and <down> map to next-line, but in Aquamacs they map to visual-line- down. If I toggle visual-line-mode, the problem goes away (under quick testing)

My question for the list.

1) Does anyone use visual-line-mode with org?  Use it and like, I mean.

2) How did this happen to me? Is this an Aquamacs default that I can customize back to 'normal'? I can't find visual-line-mode documented in the info pages for Emacs.

3) On my mode line, I have a (Org vl Fill). the 'vl' does not go away when I toggle visual-line-mode. What is that? Another irritant lurking?

-------

Ok, I let this email sit awhile (never click send when angry!)

If anyone else is living with this, I have an answer for 2) and 3)

2) Answer: Aquamacs has a customization group 'Aquamacs Is More Than Emacs'. This will be my first stop for the next irritation .

3) Answer: That customization group has an option for 'global-visual- line-mode'. Toggle that and the 'vl' goes away.

Just in case anyone is wondering (because of all my complaining), I should advertise that Mac OS is a great machine for emacs users. For example, I'm still using Apple's Mail program and many emacs key strokes work auto-magically. C-n and C-p work visually, and C-f and C- b work normally, and C-a and C-e work on logical lines. Even C-k and C-y just work inside of most of the UI textboxes. Strangely, killing a line means you can yank it, even into another window, but it's a different clipboard than cmd-C and cmd-V. Even C-t works. Alas, C-u C- f does NOT work.

None of this seems documented, so I don't know what other easter eggs are lurking, but I don't get frustrated moving from my org-mode buffer into an Apple Mail window just because of the typing. Aquamacs does let transient mark mode with with the shift-mouse-click, and cmd-C lets me pull text out of Aquamacs and into Mail.

I'd bet that many of you on a mac already know this because of how hard it is to NOT type a C-p when you want to go up!

Anyway, thanks for listening to the rant, and I hope it helps someone out there.

-Ben Alexander