Re: [Orgmode] Org publish syndication [dynamic web with org]

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Org publish syndication [dynamic web with org]
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 08:39:31 -0800

Hi Matt,

This is a very interesting project.  I am looking forward to seeing what
you come up with.  The hardest part to me seems to be triggering a
publish action when one of your subtrees needs to be added to the feed.

This is one of a couple of different ideas which have surfaced in the
mailing list recently which all could be described as the creation of
dynamic web-pages from org-mode formatted files.  Some of the other
ideas that come to mind are blogs (as you mentioned [BTW: I don't think
blorg.el is under active development]), the creation of a wiki in which
the markup syntax is org-mode, the use of org-mode for project-wide TODO
tracking and collaboration (presumably through a web interface to the
org-file usable by the Emacs illiterate), and the use of org-mode files
to track bug reports in an online bug tracker.

I would propose we address the general question of

  *dynamic web content with org*

all at once, maybe through a solicitation/collection of ideas,
requirements, and use-cases, and then through some process of
investigating which implementation options we might have to turn to.
Some questions that come to mind are...

1) Would we want Emacs to run a web-server so we can keep everything in
   elisp?
2) Would we want to use some outside language/platform to handle the
   actual web-programming?
3) How would we integrate org-mode with another language (externally
   visible org-mode API exposed by a running Emacs)??

Thanks -- Eric

aside:

I've been trying to familiarize myself with some of the common-lisp
web-frameworks in my spare time, and I'm hoping to implement a simple
org-mode formatted wiki, which uses git (instead of a database) to
handle versioning