Re: [Orgmode] Question about org-link-file-path-type

From: Sebastian Rose
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Question about org-link-file-path-type
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 12:45:53 +0100

Hi Matthew,

links are always relative, if the file in the same directory as the
file. 'adaptive' means, use absolute path, if file is not in same
directory or below.

Maybe you need to set org-link-file-path-type to 'relative'?

C-h v org-link-file-path-type

org-link-file-path-type is a variable defined in `org.el'.
Its value is adaptive

Documentation:
How the path name in file links should be stored.
Valid values are:

relative  Relative to the current directory, i.e. the directory of the file
          into which the link is being inserted.
absolute  Absolute path, if possible with ~ for home directory.
noabbrev  Absolute path, no abbreviation of home directory.
adaptive  Use relative path for files in the current directory and sub-
          directories of it.  For other files, use an absolute path.

Or complete the files path in the minibuffer this way:

C-u C-c C-l

~/../../usr/local/share/info/org

TAB completion works for those paths too.

Regards,

    Sebastian

Matthew Lundin wrote:
Matthew Lundin <address@hidden> writes:

I am using org 6.10c. When I set org-link-file-path-type to absolute
and use C-u C-c C-l (org-insert-link with argument), any file in my
home directory above my org directory is given the shortcut ~ -- as in
file:~/pdfs/paper.pdf. (This is the desired behavior.)

But when org-link-file-path-type is set to adaptive (the default)
and I use org-insert link, the files above my org-directory are
given unabbreviated names. E.g.: file:/home/matt/pdfs/paper.pdf.

Since I use org on two separate computers with different root
directory structures but also rely on relative links for my website, I
would like the adaptive option to create abbreviated links for the
home directory (i.e., ~). Is this possible?

I seem to remember the adaptive setting resulting in the abbreviated
links in 6.06 (before I upgraded to 6.08 and then 6.10), but I may be
wrong about that.

My mistake. I checked and this was apparently not the behavior of
earlier versions of org-mode.

So let me try to simplify my question: Is it possible to have an
adaptive link option that creates (a) relative links for files in the
same directory as my org files or in subdirectories and (b)
abbreviated absolute links (i.e., ~ for home) for files in other
directories within my home directory? In other words, the behavior of
the absolute link option as part of the adaptive link option. As far
as I can tell, when the adaptive link option is set, org-store-link
and org-insert-link produce unabbreviated links for files in the home
directory.

Thanks (and sorry for the wordiness).
Matt

Thanks,