Re: [Orgmode] Re: Git recommendations

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Git recommendations
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 19:47:42 +0100

Ross Patterson <address@hidden> writes:

> Richard Riley <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Ross Patterson <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I'm curious, did you evaluate dvc?
>>>
>>> http://www.xsteve.at/prg/emacs_dvc/dvc.html
>>
>> Nope. Damn. And why not? Because there was not a link on the Emacs Wiki
>> for Git interfaces. And it didnt turn up in my basic Google.
>>
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Git
>>
>> :-(
>
> Yeah, and I'll add the lack of a *.deb for DVC to that complaint.  :(
> Maybe one of us ought to let the DVC folks know of our
> complaints... Nah! :)

A Debian package? I gave up on them and installed CVS emacs 23. Why? The
debian installation setup is simply too complex and kind of got me a
blank stare from the gurus in irc #emacs. It's much nicer using a git
emacs repository and getting the stuff I need manually. Also much easier
to sync between different machines since each emacs directory is pretty
much self contained.

>>> It aims to be a common emacs front end for most distributed version
>>> control systems.
>>
>> Thanks for the pointer.
>>
>> I'll take a look. I like common interfaces. There's enough key strokes
>> to remember in emacs as it is.
>>
>> But I must say emacs-git impresses me the more I play with it. And git
>> itself just seems to be a solution that was waiting for a problem to
>> invent it. It's simply "nice and clean" from what i can gather of it.
>
> Well in all honesty, I've barely used git at all and I've only used DVC
> for hg/mercurial, just thought you might want to get a look at it.  :)
>
> Ross

I just started to read about git's history. You have to love
Torwalds. He shoots from the hip as well as being a smart sod.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/04/19/HNtorvaldswork_1.html

,----
| Torvalds seemed aware that his decision to drop BitKeeper would also be
| controversial. When asked why he called the new software, "git," British
| slang meaning "a rotten person," he said. "I'm an egotistical bastard,
| so I name all my projects after myself. First Linux, now git."
`----

Sure. I bet there's someone at BitKeeper whose name begins with "g" ...

Although I notice the letters "git" are in the first 5 letters of
Tridgell too. Nah ...

,----

`----