Re: [Orgmode] Regression testing for org-mode

From: Avdi Grimm
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Regression testing for org-mode
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 20:03:56 -0400

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 7:57 PM, Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm pessimistic that the colossal amount of work involved in wrapping
> all of org-modes extensive and varied functionality into a test
> framework can/should actually be completed.  Would it be sufficient to
> simply begin dealing with bug reports in a test-first manner?

Absolutely.  I do NOT recommend making an effort to get test coverage
over existing code just for the sake of coverage - in my experience
this usually leads a lot of work for brittle and not terribly useful
tests.  Put tests only around the areas you are about to change.  Over
time the coverage will grow.

> Also, should we start tracking bug reports somewhere (worg), so that
> they can be claimed, tested against, and repaired?

Not a bad idea.  Normally I'd recommend just going with an established
bug tracker like Trac or Lighthouse, but since Org is so great for
managing tasks it seems only right that the developers should "eat
their own dogfood" by using Org to track tickets :-)

--
Avdi

Home: http://avdi.org
Twitter: http://twitter.com/avdi