[Orgmode] Release 6.10

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: [Orgmode] Release 6.10
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 09:33:18 +0200

Enjoy!

- Carsten

Changes in Version 6.10
=======================

Overview
========

   - Secondary agenda filtering is becoming a killer feature
   - Setting tags has now its own binding, `C-c C-q'
   - Todo state changes can trigger tag changes
   - C-RET will now always insert a new headline, never an item.
   - Customize org-mouse.el feature set to free up mouse events
   - New commands for export all the way to PDF (through LaTeX)
   - Some bug fixed for LaTeX export, more bugs remain.

Details
=======

Enhancements to secondary agenda filtering

    This is, I believe, becoming a killer feature.  It allows you
    to define fewer and more general custom agenda commands, and
    then to do the final narrowing to specific tasks you are
    looking for very quickly, much faster than calling a new
    agenda command.

    If you have not tries this yet, you should!

* You can now refining the current filter by an additional criterion
  When filtering an existing agenda view with `/', you can
  now narrow down the existing selection by an additional
  condition.  Do do this, use `\' instead of `/' to add the
  additional criterion.  You can also press `+' or `-' after
  `/' to add a positive or negative condition.  A condition
  can be a TAG, or an effort estimate limit, see below.

* It is now possible to filter for effort estimates
  This means to filter the agenda for the value of the Effort
  property.  For this you should best set up global allowed
  values for effort estimates, with

    (setq org-global-properties
          '(("Effort_ALL" . "0 0:10 0:30 1:00 2:00 3:00 4:00")))

  You may then select effort limits with single keys in the
  filter.  It works like this:  After `/' or `\', first select
  the operator which you want to use to compare effort
  estimates:

   <   Select entries with effort smaller than or equal to the limit
   >   Select entries with effort larger than or equal to the limit
   =   Select entries with effort equal to the limit

  After that, you can press a single digit number which is
  used as an index to the allowed effort estimates.

  If you do not use digits to fast-select tags, you can even
  skip the operator, which will then default to
  `org-agenda-filter-effort-default-operator', which is by
  default `<'.

  Thanks to Manish for the great idea to include fast effort
  filtering into the agenda filtering process.

* The mode line will show the active filter
  For example, if there is a filter in place that does select
  for HOME tags, against EMAIL tags, and for tasks with an
  estimated effort smaller than 30 minutes, the mode-line with
  show `+HOME-EMAIL+<0:30'

* The filter now persists when the agenda view is refreshed
  All normal refresh commands, including those that move the
  weekly agenda from one week to the next, now keep the
  current filter in place.

  You need to press `/ /' to turn off the filter.  However,
  when you run a new agenda command, for example going from
  the weekly agenda to the TODO list, the filter will be
  switched off.

Setting tags has now its own binding, `C-c C-q'

    You can still use `C-c C-c' on a headline, but the new
    binding should be considered as the main binding for this
    command.  The reasons for this change are:

    - Using `C-c C-c' for tags is really out of line with other
      uses of `C-c C-c'.

    - I hate it in Remember buffers when I try to set tags and I
      cannot, because `C-c C-c' exits the buffer :-(

    - `C-c C-q' will also work when the cursor is somewhere down
      in the entry, it does not have to be on the headline.

Todo state changes can trigger tag changes

    The new option `org-todo-state-tags-triggers' can be used to
    define automatic changes to tags when a TODO state changes.
    For example, the setting

     (setq org-todo-state-tags-triggers
           '((done ("Today" . nil) ("NEXT" . nil))
             ("WAITING" ("Today" . t))))

    will make sure that any change to any of the DONE states will
    remove tags "Today" and "NEXT", while switching to the
    "WAITING" state will trigger the tag "Today" to be added.

    I use this mostly to get rid of TODAY and NEXT tags which I
    apply to select an entry for execution in the near future,
    which I often prefer to specific time scheduling.

C-RET will now always insert a new headline, never an item.
    The new headline is inserted after the current subtree.

    Thanks to Peter Jones for patches to fine-tune this behavior.

Customize org-mouse.el feature set
----------------------------------
    There is a new variable `org-mouse-features' which gives you
    some control about what features of org-mouse you want to
    use.  Turning off some of the feature will free up the
    corresponding mouse events, or will avoid activating special
    regions for mouse clicks.  By default I have urned off the
    feature to use drag mouse events to move or promote/demote
    entries.  You can of course turn them back on if you wish.

    This variable may still change in the future, allowing more
    fine-grained control.

New commands for export to PDF
------------------------------

    This is using LaTeX export, and then processes it to PDF
    using pdflatex.

     C-c C-e p     process to PDF.
     C-c C-e d     process to PDF, and open the file.

LaTeX export
    - \usepackage{graphicx} is now part of the standard class
      definitions.
    - Several bugs fixed, but definitely not all of them :-(

New option `org-log-state-notes-insert-after-drawers'

    Set this to `t' if you want state change notes to be inserted
    after any initial drawers, i.e drawers the immediately follow
    the headline and the planning line (the one with
    DEADLINE/SCHEDULED/CLOSED information).