[Orgmode] Re: Debugging the publishing process?

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Debugging the publishing process?
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 08:20:06 -0400

Ángel de Vicente <address@hidden> writes:

> I wonder if anyone can give me a tip... I'm just trying to figure out
> the  publishing process in Org-mode, but I'm not getting any
> results.. is there  a way to debug what ORG-MODE is trying to do?
>
> I started with a basic setting, and defined a minimal (but I think
> valid)  org-publish-project-alist as:
>
> (setq org-publish-project-alist
>       '(("OWD"
>        :base-directory "~/org/"
>        :publishing-directory "~/OWD")))
>
> In ~/org I have a number of .org files that get properly exported to
> HTML  with C-c C-e h
>
> but if I try to publish them with C-c C-e A, nothing appear in ~/OWD,
> and  have no clue where it went wrong.
>
> By the way, I have version 6.04c installed (although the info manual
> says  it is 6.09a) (I just installed from the download link at
> http://orgmode.org/index.html#sec-4)

This works fine for me in 6.09a (as reported by M-x org-version)

,----[ minimal.emacs ]
| (global-font-lock-mode t)
|
| (add-hook 'org-mode-hook '(lambda () (flyspell-mode 1)))
|
| (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "~/git/org-mode/lisp"))
| (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org$" . org-mode))
| (require 'org-install)
|
| (define-key global-map "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
| (define-key global-map "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
|
| (setq org-publish-project-alist
|       '(("OWD"
|        :base-directory "/tmp/org/"
|        :publishing-directory "/tmp/OWD")))
`----

I created /tmp/org and /tmp/OWD and then

emacs -q -l minimal.emacs

created /tmp/org/test.org and C-c C-e A creates /tmp/OWD/test.html

,----[ test.org ]

`----

,----[ test2.org ]
| * Another file
| * with stuff
| Whee it works fine.
`----

The publishing process normally writes details to the message window (if
you click in the message window it open the *Messages* buffer so you can
scroll through the messages.)

,----[ *Messages* ]
| Exporting... [2 times]
| Wrote /tmp/OWD/test2.html
| Exporting... done
| Publishing file /tmp/org/test.org
| Exporting... [3 times]
| Wrote /tmp/OWD/test.html
| Exporting... done
`----

If I do it a second time without touching the files I get

,----
| Skipping unmodified file /tmp/org/test2.org
| Skipping unmodified file /tmp/org/test.org
`----

I'm sure there have been lots of changes since 6.04c that affect
publishing so I would recommend upgrading to the most recent version of
org-mode first and trying again.

Regards,
Bernt