[Orgmode] latex and org-mode

From: Daniel M German
Subject: [Orgmode] latex and org-mode
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 17:39:30 -0700

hi everybody,

I am also a long time user of Latex (16 years). I use it mainly to
author scientific papers.

i followed the discussion about trying to export org files to latex
files. I am also currently drafting in org (using latex macros in my
draft, but no latex structure) and then move to latex. Once I move to
latex I still keep the org file for TODOs and notes. I think trying to
get org todo full latex authoring is not an easy battle (for example,
trying to make a figure with 2 minipage environments in it, each with
a table). Debugging latex in org is a nightmare because there is are
no pragma __LINE__ instructions in latex (as far as I know).

I was wondering the other day if it would be possible to improve org
into using % as the first character in its lines. For instance, in an
org file we currently write:

** TODO Call my mother
   SCHEDULED: <2008-10-19 Sun>

How about allowing org to prefix the lines as follows:

%** TODO Call my mother
%   SCHEDULED: <2008-10-19 Sun>

All org commands will take into account a prefix and add one if
necessary (for example when the task is scheduled). Org can then be
used as a minor mode (in conjunction with auctex for example)

This would be even useful for programming in languages that allow
comment prefixing: i.e # , or if any prefix is allowed, any //

--daniel

Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org/
http://silvernegative.com/