[Orgmode] orgmode and physical fitness training

From: David O'Toole
Subject: [Orgmode] orgmode and physical fitness training
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:28:34 -0400

Recently I hired a personal trainer to manage my strength training
program. There is a lot of data to keep track of:

  1. timestamped records of what I eat --- these are reviewed by my
trainer and I want to go back and annotate things that i should cut out.
It will also be useful to look these up later for meal ideas.
  2. appointments with my trainer
  3. flexible "appointments" where I plan to go to the gym at a certain
hour... is there any way to get org to send SMS messages to my phone?
  4. payments due to the gym and trainer
  5. other spending (items like gloves, shoes)
  6. my weight, measurements, and body fat percentage
  7. medications and/or supplements
  8. sleep log (i have issues with my sleep cycle and this is very
important for recovery after exercise.)

I'd like to use org-mode to increase my grasp of the situation and
measure my progress objectively. Does anyone else here use org-mode for
fitness and/or health tracking? I would be interested to hear people's
stories or suggestions. I'm guessing I should use the spreadsheet
feature for the weight/measurements/bodyfat stuff. So I will have to
finally learn that part of org :)

I'll try to hammer out my own configuration and post any relevant
snippets.