Re: [Orgmode] Re: make install-info fails for 6.08c

From: William Henney
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: make install-info fails for 6.08c
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 22:05:30 -0500

Hi list

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Dan Griswold <address@hidden> wrote:
> I saw this, too. And I determined two things:

Nice to know that I'm not the only one to have problems with this.

I found the culprit non-patch that led to this change in the Makefile:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/8247

I can't see how the current version of the install-info Makefile rule
can possibly work. From reading the man page it seems that the
install-info command, which shouldn't be confused with the Makefile
rule, does not actually install the info file. It just updates the dir
file in the info directory (which is not even necessary [1]). If you
do want to use it, then you have to copy the info file first, as Dan
already pointed out. So, I suggest that the Makefile rule might better
be something like this:

install-info: $(INFOFILES)
        if [ ! -d $(infodir) ]; then $(MKDIR) $(infodir); else true; fi ;
        $(CP) $(INFOFILES) $(infodir)
        for f in $(INFOFILES); do $(INSTALL_INFO) $(infodir)/`basename
$f` $(infodir)/dir; done

I am not convinced of the cross-platform wisdom of having the shell
"for" loop and backtick substitution in there, but I don't know how to
do that with pure make syntax. Currently, INFOFILES points to only one
file, but the plural name suggests that there may be more someday....

Cheers

Will

[1] In my emacs (Aquamacs 1.5, emacs 22.2.50.2), a "dir" file is
auto-generated on the fly from all the info files in directories in
Info-directory-list.

--

  Dr William Henney, Centro de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica,
  Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia