Re: [Orgmode] custom link type for files in a git repo

From: Rick Moynihan
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] custom link type for files in a git repo
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 03:01:30 +0100

2008/10/6 Austin Frank <address@hidden>:
--- snip ---

> Now that org and git are starting to be used in conjunction by more and
> more of us, would anyone else find it useful to have a custom link type
> for linking to git objects?

Absolutely!!  git is my new favourite tool, and being able to combine
org-mode and git in a usable workflow would be a great idea!

> I could imagine that calling org-store-link on a file or directory that
> is in a git repo could link to the current HEAD version, and we could
> have access to all of the information from calling git-log on the file
> (commit, author, date, message).  Similarly, we'd want to be able to
> link to arbitrary objects in the repo's history (tags, particular
> commits, merge points, etc).

This sounds like it'd be handy, as I've already found myself pasting
git SHA's into org-mode!  So having these (plus a path to a local
repo) link to the specific commits would be awesome.  More than this
though I want integration with git commit messages!

> I think most of this could be done via git.el that is distributed with
> git.  One cool application of this would be a git post-commit-hook that
> called remember to create a link to the new commit in the relevant
> project file.

Yeah, this sounds like exactly what I'd want! :-)  Ideally it'd also
be branch aware.  And I can imagine that having each commit as an
outline with a tag of the branch name and a property drawer containing
the SHA (as a link) would be enough for a start!

It'd make sense to follow the git tradition of having the first line
of the commit message default to the outline's title in org.

> This would be a really neat way to keep a timeline for a
> particular project's commits right alongside all of the other
> information stored in org.  I can also see it being really useful to
> link to a particular version of a non-org file within some org notes.
> That file might change, making it difficult to interpret some notes or
> making specific line numbers irrelevant, but a link to the exact version
> being discussed would make such notes future proof.

This would probably be quite handy too, though I think getting commits
into the agenda would be better :-)

> I think I could probably get at least a skeleton of these kinds of
> functions working myself, but I won't be able to get to it until the
> winter holidays.  If these ideas scratch the itches of another org user
> who wants to code this up, I promise I'll a) use it b) praise your
> awesomeness, and c) buy you a beer if we're ever in the same city.
>
> Thoughts?  Other features that could go into this?
>
> Thanks,
> /au
>

> --
> Austin Frank