[Orgmode] Re: make install-info fails for 6.08c

From: Dan Griswold
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: make install-info fails for 6.08c
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 17:14:44 -0400

I saw this, too. And I determined two things:

  1. If you use a Debian (or, possibly, a Debian based distro), it
     will fail unless modified;
  2. Extra intervention appears required for the info file to be fully
     accessible.

Details:

  1. The Makefile uses GNU install-info. In Debian, "install-info" is
     part of the dpkg package, and thus different. Setting
     INSTALL_INFO to "ginstall-info" solved this problem for
     me. (ginstall-info is part of the texinfo package, and is
     Debian's name for GNU's install-info.)

  2. However, the [g]install-info command as called by "make
     install-info" was not entirely complete, as it did not copy the
     info file (doc/org) into info_dir directory, but only updated the
     main Info file ("/usr/local/info/dir").

     I got things working by manually copying doc/org to
     /usr/local/info/.

Possible solution:

Use these lines in place of the two beginning on line 55 of the Makefile:

  # Name of the program to install info files
  if [ `which ginstall-info ` ] ;
     then INSTALL_INFO=ginstall-info;
     else INSTALL_INFO=install-info;
  fi

And add this line to the install-info section of the Makefile:

  cp $(INFOFILES) $(infodir)

Of course, I might just be showing my ignorance on some of this
stuff. I'm willing to be corrected.

Thanks,

Dan

--