Re: [Orgmode] org-clock-find-position confusion (bug?)

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-clock-find-position confusion (bug?)
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 07:16:39 +0200

Hi Ethan,

On Sep 28, 2008, at 5:49 AM, Ethan Blanton wrote:

Thanks for taking care of my last issue so quickly; as a reward, I've
found another one!  ;-)  (Seriously, thanks for the blazing turn
around last time -- and thanks for org-mode, I'm finding a lot of
things to love!)

org-clock-find-position (6.07b again) displays unexpected behavior
when it encounters a clock line preceding a bulleted list.
Specifically, when a :CLOCK: drawer is created, the drawer encompasses
the first list item.  E.g.:

* Heading
 CLOCK: [2008-09-27 Sat 14:00]--[2008-09-27 Sat 14:30] =>  0:30
 - Bullet 1
 - Bullet 2

Clocking in on this item again will yield (if drawer creation is
enabled):

* Heading
 :CLOCK:
 CLOCK: [2008-09-27 Sat 15:00]
 CLOCK: [2008-09-27 Sat 14:00]--[2008-09-27 Sat 14:30] =>  0:30
 - Bullet 1
   :END:
 - Bullet 2

The reason for this behavior is that Org sometimes records a note when the clock is stopped in an item.  That note is formatted like an item and attached directly to the CLOCK line.  When a drawer is created, this note should go into the drawer.

A work-around would be to leave an empty line before your list, like so:

* Heading

  - bullet 1
  - bullet 2

If you then clock this entry, Org will know that "bullet 1" is not a clocking note.

HTH

- Carsten

Looking at org-clock-find-position, this seems to be intentional;
removing the (if (org-at-item-p) (org-end-of-item)) statement "fixes"
this behavior for me, but may be breaking something else which I am
not seeing.

Ethan

for evils].  They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor
determined to commit crimes.