Re: [Orgmode] Possible bug in task breakdown recounting, narrowing probl

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Possible bug in task breakdown recounting, narrowing problem from agenda or sparse tree?
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 18:29:03 +0200

Hi Charles,

This is indeed a bug, fixed now (in the git repo), thank you for your report.

- Carsten

On Sep 25, 2008, at 8:13 PM, Charles Sebold wrote:

In an org file that looks like this:

#+STARTUP: odd
#+STARTUP: hidestars
#+TAGS: :meta:test:
#+CATEGORY: Test

* PROJECT [0/5] Made up of several todo's
*** TODO first
*** TODO second
*** TODO third
*** TODO fourth
*** TODO fifth

And with my todo keywords looking like this:

(setq org-todo-keywords
     '(
       (sequence "INBOX(i)" "TICKLER(t!)" "|" "FILE(f@)" "CANCELED(k@)")
       (sequence "TODO" "WAITING" "VERIFY" "|" "DONE" "REASSIGNED")
       (sequence "DAILY(d!)" "|" "DONEDLY" "UNSCHEDDLY(D@)")
       (sequence "WEEKLY(e!)" "|" "DONEWKLY" "UNSCHEDWKLY(E@)")
       (sequence "MONTHLY(m!)" "|" "DONEMNTHLY" "UNSCHEDMNTHLY(M@)")
       (sequence "APPT" "RESCHEDULE(s@)" "|" "APPTPAST" "APPTCANCELED(n@)")
       (sequence "REQUEST(r!)" "REQWAITING(w@/!)" "REQVERIFY(v)" "|"
                 "REQCLOSED(c!)" "REQREASSIGNED(a@)")
       (sequence "PROJECT(P!)" "PROJWAITING(W@/!)" "PROJVERIFY(V)" "|"
                 "PROJCLOSED(C!)" "PROJREASSIGNED(A@)")
       ))

According to (info "(org)Breaking down tasks") marking one of these as
one of the DONE states (in this sequence it would be either "DONE" or
"REASSIGNED") should change the PROJECT breakdown to [1/5].  If I am in
the buffer with that org file, it's completely unfolded, and I do it,
that's the effect I get.

However, if:

(a) the outline of that project is partially or completely folded to
   begin with, and
(b) I change the TODO to DONE in the Agenda buffer, it seems to narrow
   around that TODO item, and the breakdown becomes [0/1] or some
   smaller number than the actual number of subtasks under the
   project.

I just tried it with a sparse tree that only unfolded to display the
third TODO item, and the same thing happened, so I guess it's probably
something to do with the way the sparse tree works with folding.

I'm running org-mode 6.07b downloaded from the website.

Sorry if this is a known problem; I didn't see it on the "bugs" page in
the info file.
--
Charles Sebold
http://merbc.invigorated.org/