Re: [Orgmode] How to get a clock table without the file level?

From: Peter Frings
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] How to get a clock table without the file level?
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 10:21:01 +0200

On 07 Sep 2008, at 08:30, Carsten Dominik wrote:

On Sep 5, 2008, at 4:47 PM, Peter Frings wrote:

Is it possible to build a clocktable with the agenda as scope, but summing up all times per headline level, and not per file. Some files have the same level 1 entries, and these should be summed up.

Hi Peter,

this is indeed neither currently possible, nor easily implemented.

One of he basic concepts of Org-mode is that you keep things together that belong together. Why do you have related things in two separate files? Would it not be easier and better to reorganize this basic structure?

Yes, I've been thinking about that as well. Right now, it's only 1 or two rows I need to sum up manually, and I can still handle that... so this is absolutely not a serious issue.

The reason I have these tasks spread across several agenda files is the following. I have one larger file in which I keep the planning and logging for a large project. In another file I keep a log of the more `interrupt-driven' but often recurring tasks (e.g. maintaining a wiki, fixing bugs, etc.).

However, we need to fill in time sheets in a SAP web application -- note that I use the term 'application' very loosely here!--, and many of the activities in both files are to be recorded under the same category. Unfortunately, I'm never sure which SAP category to use for some taks, so I needed a way to remember them. Therefore, I made these categories as level-1 topics, and organized my tasks to my liking as sub-topics. So I can now log time for the level-2 topic 'filling in time sheets', and it will show up under the proper SAP category in the clock table.

Now, all activity in the planning file needs to be reported as 'REQD G50101'; in the other file there's also a whole set of tasks that fall under that same category. Therefore, I have 'REQD G50101' as a level-1 topic in both files, and structure the rest below it.

I know it is a kludge, but it works relatively well for me.

I know I can simply put the project planning in the same file as the rest, but both files are relatively large, and it makes navigation a bit harder than I want. Also, keeping these things in two files sounds very logical to me :-)

As I said, it's not a big deal; I'm very happy with org-mode and I intent to keep it that way!

Thanks,
Peter.