S5 Based presentations in Orgmode (Was Re: [Orgmode] org to pdf presenta

From: Rick Moynihan
Subject: S5 Based presentations in Orgmode (Was Re: [Orgmode] org to pdf presentation conversion)
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 10:27:43 +0100

I've been thinking about how org-mode would make a good format for writing and publishing slides and presentations.

Then I remembered reading something about this on here already (and found this thread).

> Christian Egli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I just stumbled across this blog by Andy Wingo who is using org-mode
>> to create pdf presentations. He wrote some scripts that convert an org
>> file to SVG and from there to pdf.
>
> Looks interesting.  Did you try it?  Here i got a problem with
> rsvg-convert (which works fine otherwise).

Has anyone on here tried this, and developed presentations in org-mode?

Bastien wrote:
Another way to use Org files to produce presentations would be to
convert them to S5 format (based on xoxo microformat):

  http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/xoxo-structure-min.html

Now S5 ( http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/ ), is something that's always appealed to me as a presentation format (though I've not yet used it myself). And I think going from Org-mode to an S5 presentation would be really handy. Particularly if we can export source code snippets etc with full syntax highlighting.

I briefly looked at transforming from the XOXO export format to S5, but it seems the XOXO exporter only converts the outline, and none of the detail which seems to rule this out, for anything but the most trivial presentations.

Would it be a big job to modify either the XOXO exporter or the XHTML exporter to support S5 as an additional export format? I took a brief look at the code, but I'm not much of an elisper, and it seems quite complicated. Am I right, is this a big job?

I was thinking I might be able to define an XSLT transformation from the XHTML to export into S5 format, but it seems it'd be better to have an elisp implementation.

Alternatively org-infojs seems close in spirit to S5, though it doesn't quite feel like a presentation in terms of it's styling (though I'm sure it'd be easy to style it to look more like S5.

R.