[Orgmode] Re: Google Tech Talk

From: srandby
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Google Tech Talk
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 09:28:57 -0400

The talk was impressive, especially because it made me aware of the org-mode web site and this mailing list. I've been using org-mode for about 7 months after finding out about it through an article in Linux Journal. I'm a mathematics professor and I use org-mode to keep track of grades. I have things set up so that all I need to do is input scores into a table and all calculations are done automatically. Very cool. Every other system I've used for recording grades has either been a pain to customize or required me to do hand calculations. Org-mode was the solution to my grade recording problem.

I use org-mode for a few other tasks, but I'm still learning its features. From the talk, I played around with the LaTeX preview feature, but I don't think I'll use it much. The preview graphic was too small for my bad eyes and I already have a relatively convenient system for doing LaTeX work. However, I am intrigued by the publishing features of org-mode when it comes to HTML. I use tables on my website because certain unmentionable browsers don't work well with CSS unless one is willing to maintain complicated code. I don't have time to maintain complicated code for ridiculous browsers, so I still use tables. I gather that org-mode will be enable me to simplify working with HTML tables. I'll definitely look into this.

Emacs and org-mode are fantastic.

Scott Randby