Re: [Orgmode] suggestion - follow-link

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] suggestion - follow-link
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 13:56:40 -0700

On Jul 18, 2008, at 1:12 PM, Richard G Riley wrote:

On Jul 18, 2008, at 12:19 PM, Richard G Riley wrote:

On Jul 18, 2008, at 10:29 AM, Richard G Riley wrote:

I would like to suggest that follow link (C-c C-o) defaults to
"index.org" when the link is merely a directory. e.g I prefer my
links
to be without the "index.html/org" part ,"./projects/", so that
"index.html" does not appear in the address bar when browsing the
published project. At present it will open dired in that directory.

I do not want to give up that link into dired while working in
Emacs - and I believe upon exporting, the link will end up pointing
to the directory, which in HML will read index.html.

- Carsten

Yes, without the specific file, the browser will indeed default to
index.html. This is a standard - and what I use. It just means C-C C-o does not open the link to the file. But if people prefer dired to come
up on such a link I can see that might be beneficial to some too.

I depends on application.  In a web publishing project, I agree
that opening index.org might be the most useful approach.
However, when using Org for notes, planning etc, I frequently
rely on the ability to link to a dired list of a directory.
Maybe is is worth an option......

- Carsten

Hmm. Yes, I am being a bit "html centric" here since that's what I'm
working. Maybe a nicer generic solution is to have a standard file
select in the minibuffer with completion when there is no file
name. Just hit enter then to select dired at that directory or "i TAB"
for index.org for example (I use icicles completion here). Not serious
or must have but maybe nice to have at some time.

No, I prefer an option. It is not a good idea to be bothered with this decision each time you want to follow a link. Implemented in the git repo.

- Carsten