Re: [Orgmode] Re: iCal export of repeated tasks

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: iCal export of repeated tasks
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 13:01:35 +0100

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 11:55:19AM +0200, Paul R wrote:
> Like Dominik, I consider a repeated event as a calendar object on its
> own. Such an object has a representation in the iCal format. Org mode
> must stick to the correct representation of this object, and it is up
> to each calendar tool to display it in a way or an other to the user.

In that case correctness in this context is evidently rather
subjective.

Ultimately, the tools are there to serve their masters, and the iCal
format is simply a medium for communicating user data between
end-points in a standard interoperable fashion.  It is up to the users
to determine what data actually needs to be communicated via the
format.  In my case, if I should explicitly request the tool to hide
the repetition of events in order to avoid cluttering my display, I
see nothing incorrect about the tool doing just that.  Likewise, as
another hypothetical example, if all my events had LOCATION
properties, it would be equally valid and correct to export them to
one iCal file for use with korganizer on a full desktop display, and
to another iCal file with the LOCATION properties trimmed out to save
space on a mobile phone display.

> If you consider others tools as broken in this area,

No I do not.

In any case, I will use the hook which Carsten kindly provided.