[Orgmode] Re: iCal export of repeated tasks

From: Paul R
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: iCal export of repeated tasks
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 11:55:19 +0200

Hi Adam,

>> It seems to be fine for the program displaying the info to do such
>> filtering - this is what Org does in the agenda.
>
> Unfortunately, since the proposed filtering is per-event, with
> uni-directional export to other clients, the only place it can be done
> is at the source, i.e. within Org.  Otherwise some layering of extra
> filtering meta-data per-event would be required for each external
> calendaring client, which would be extremely cumbersome.

Like Dominik, I consider a repeated event as a calendar object on its
own. Such an object has a representation in the iCal format. Org mode
must stick to the correct representation of this object, and it is up
to each calendar tool to display it in a way or an other to the user.
If you consider others tools as broken in this area, and don't feel
like fixing them, you can maybe implement a "go-between" layer that
takes iCal file in input, and outputs the same iCal file with repeated
events changed to dated events, with date set on next occurence.

--
      Paul