Re: [Orgmode] FR: headline iteration API

From: Daniel Clemente
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] FR: headline iteration API
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 16:35:01 +0200

Hi,
  I find this very interesting. Some ideas:

- Maybe it could provide access not only to the headlines, but to the headlines
of the headlines, and of their headlines, etc. In fact, access to the whole
tree. This would allow batch processing of any contents. As a plus, each header
would get a path (like XPath in XML, or DOM in XHTML) and would be addressable.
Maybe useful for links.

- If there is an API to the content, applications can use data stored in org
files in simple ways. For instance: „for all the headers with tag AAAA, get the
the subheaders except if they are DONE, and get the property BBBB“. I don't
know the „tree“ data structures in Emacs Lisp, but I suppose that representing
a whole org file as a LISP object would be cool; also for easy exporting and
data interchange.

- An API would be useful not only to generate reports, etc. like in your
examples, but also to execute actions on each header; for instance „export“
each header, „delete“ it, ... (And now with latest version, each header can
have different export options)

- Of course, this is already possible by going through the file looking for
headers; an API would make iteration easier, like with mapcar

  And many more things...

Daniel