RE: [Orgmode] emacs IDE and org

From: Rockefeller, Harry
Subject: RE: [Orgmode] emacs IDE and org
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 15:05:21 -0500

I'm taking some time to brainstorm a bit.  Yes, the thought I was
expressing below using the QUOTE org syntax is something akin to
literate programming.  Using org for the simplicity of an ASCII
formatting "language" where source code may be embedded in the actual
org file.

At our company, historically, we have a "suggested" documentation
process which "requires" source to have special formatting characters
along with comments so that it may be parsed to produce "documentation"
- a kind of "literate programming" in reverse.  Not only is this
documentation not enforced, but often the code comments don't even match
the fixes made to code over time.  In other words, our corporate process
could use some help.  Also, now we are an ISO 9001 shop and have to pay
closer attention to our software process.

My personal process originated in the UNIX world where I continue using
open source development tools: emacs "IDE" with svn for my personal
repository vs the corporate tools which have migrated from UNIX to
Micro$oft dev studio and VSS.  I am comfortable using my personal
software process but obviously a solution is for me to just conform.

Nevertheless, our corporate software process is sketchy at best at the
front end.  Just naming a few items which project documentation may
contain in a "note" if nothing else, would include:  1) Description, 2)
requirements, 3) references, 4) design, 5) READMEs (HowTos), 6) ToDos,
7) Block diagram(s), and 8) Issues (problems and fixes for these
problems).  The nature of the project may dictate the necessity or
importance of these.

>From your brief statement below, Tim, I would imagine you would
reference files of perhaps block diagrams, reference documents, and code
via links inside of an org file which may directly contain descriptions,
requirements, design, ToDos, and READMEs?  A software repository would
usually take care of the Issue details.  Maybe I'm trying to jump to far
ahead?  This would be a good way to get my "feet wet" to begin by using
org as a project "wrapper" file.  In other words, begin using org by
adding the stuff I think is important but have not yet written down and
then linking my existing files together?  Unless I hear something better
from anyone else, I think I'll start with that.  Just thinking out loud
... :-)