Re: [Orgmode] Re: Release 6.02

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Release 6.02
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 07:49:41 +0200

On Apr 24, 2008, at 9:28 PM, Peter Jones wrote:
The special property Effort can be used for effort estimates

   If you want to plan your work in a very detailed way, or if
   you need to produce offers with quotations of the estimated
   work effort, you may want to assign effort estimates to
   entries.  If you are also clocking your work, you may later
   want to compare the planned effort with the actual working
   time.  Effort estimates can now be stored in a special
   property `Effort', displayed side-to-side with clock sums,
   and also be summed over a day, in order to show the planned
   work load of a day.  See the manual for more details.

Carsten, I'm already using a property called "Estimate" that works
great, especially in column view.  What extra functionally would I get
by switching to this Effort property, or changing the
org-effort-property to work with my Estimate property?

Hi Peter,

currently the only difference is that you can include the duration of appointments into the total effort estimate of a day, that is all.

I think this property will become more special in the future, maybe using special commands to set the estimate without having to enter column view. But you are quite right that not much special stuff happens right now with this property.

HTH.

- Carsten

Thanks.

--