Re: [Orgmode] FR: Two column view enhancements

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] FR: Two column view enhancements
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:04:08 +0100

On Mar 25, 2008, at 11:30 PM, Daniel J. Sinder wrote:

Two feature requests to make column view a little more polished:

First, it would be nice if hl-line-mode, or something like it, worked in column view. If I've got my emacs frame filling my physical screen and %ITEM in the left-most column, sometimes my eyes need help with properties in the right-most column to see which item they are paired with.

I cannot make hl-line work (I think), because the columns
are using overlays with display properties, and I believe
that this does not merge well with another overlay face.

But what you might want to do is to configure the face
org-column (M-x customize-face RET org-column RET)
and turn on the underline attribute.  Not sure if this helps, though.

Second, sometimes my property values are too long to fit in the column width I've allocated (e.g., %20NOTE). I was thinking it would be great if the entire value could be placed in the echo area of emacs when I move the cursor into a "cell"?

That does get a bit noisy for my taste. Is the "v" key not enough? If not maybe I can make this optionally.

- Carsten