Re: [Orgmode] Re: Active timestamp with notification in advance

From: Wanrong Lin
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Active timestamp with notification in advance
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 21:05:48 -0500

Bastien wrote:
Bernt Hansen <address@hidden> writes:

Maybe use SCHEDULED: instead of DEADLINE: ?

I'm afraid this won't solve Wanrong's problem: you don't get warned
about scheduled items.

Wanrong: maybe you can turn your items into scheduled items and then use
`org-check-before-date' in the relevant file to get the list of upcoming
scheduled items.

But that's still a manual workaround...
Thanks a lot for the suggestions, but manual workaround does not work for me, as I want org to take care of giving me a notification in advance in the agenda buffer.

For SCHEDULED and plain active time stamp, I don't think we need to have a default ahead notification setting as with deadlines, but it would really be nice to support the <..... -3d> format. It would be even nicer to have a new keyword (like "SCHEDULED@") that indicates a strictly scheduled item (just a fancy term for "appointment") and hence a default ahead notification setting can be applied. The lack of real appointment support in org-mode in fact is a little bit puzzling to me, since SCHEDULED item may or may not be strictly scheduled, while plain time stamp item may or may not be something that needs to take actions on (as it could be just an event).

Wanrong