Re: [Orgmode] Problems with Properties and Columns

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Problems with Properties and Columns
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 22:24:11 +0000

Ian Barton <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Taking the snippet below as an example. If I try to add a Property below My
>>> Bank using C-c C-x p I am offered completions for the Properties defined
>>> under Web Site Passwords, not Bank Details. Is this a bug, or am I
>>> misunderstanding the scope of the Columns directive?
>>
>> The COLUMN property just defines the column view, not the properties
>> themselves.  When you set a property with `C-c C-x p', the prompt offers
>> completion over all the properties that are found in the current buffer.
>>
>> Does that answer your question?
>>

> Thanks Bastien. Yes and no:) In my example if I type ACC in the mini
> buffer Emacs returns No Match, whereas I assume it should offer
> ACCOUNTNO as a completion.

This is not the current behavior.

You have to actually use a property as a property (not as a column in
the :COLUMNS: property) so that the prompt offers it for completion.

But I agree it would be useful if Org were recognizing values in
:COLUMNS: as properties, even when they are not yet in use.

--
Bastien