[Orgmode] Re: Timeline not working in 5.20

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Timeline not working in 5.20
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 09:48:29 -0500

> On Feb 7, 2008, at 3:11 AM, Mark Ochocki wrote:
>
>> Phil Jackson wrote:
>>> I've had a look and I think the culprit is:
>>> ,----[ line 21411 ]
>>> `----
>>> Which evals to -0.0e+NaN and then propagates. Might see if I can dig
>>> further tomorrow if I get time.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Phil
>>
>> I believe line 21411 also causes problems with Deadlines when
>> individual items are changed from the default set in org-deadline-
>> warning-days.
>>
>> Here's an example from my org file:
>>
>> Day-agenda:
>>  Controller:    In   4 d.:  TODO Review Fin... :workpc:(priority 1060)
>>  Controller:    In   5 d.:  TODO Brief MA...   :work:  (priority 1050)
>>  Controller:    In   4 d.:  TODO Run sale...   :workpc:(priority 1042)
>>
>> org file:
>> ***** TODO Run sale...                               :workpc:
>>      DEADLINE: <2008-02-10 Sun +1m -7d>
>> ***** TODO Review Fin...                     :workpc:
>>      DEADLINE: <2008-02-10 Sun +1m -10d>
>> ***** TODO Brief MA...                                 :work:
>>      DEADLINE: <2008-02-11 Mon -10d>
>
> Well, I guess this is a matter of taste.  Do you want the deadlines
> prioritized
> according to the fraction of warning time that has past, or according to
> the number of days left to do them.  Opinions?
>
> - Carsten

Here's my two cents :)

I think prioritizing it based on the number of days left to complete it
and still meet the deadline makes more sense to me.  I set longer time
frames for some deadlines because I want them to be visible early on the
agenda as a reminder even if I'm not planning to work on them right
away.  Deadlines are drop dead dates for me and things need to be
completed on or before the deadline expires.  Working on the things that
expire first just feels more natural to me.

-Bernt