Re: [Orgmode] Strange bug, request for more info

From: Jost Burkardt
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Strange bug, request for more info
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 19:08:38 +0100

> Hi everyone,
>
> The bug happens when being in the agenda and trying to goto or show
> the origin location of an agenda entry by pressing SPC or RET.
> John reports that sometimes (for him several times a day),
> the other window shows a completely different location.
> The most weird part of it is that going back to the agenda buffer
> and then trying the exact same command again, everything works
> fine!  This is driving me crazy, and I'd love to find and fix
> this problem.
>
> So please, if anyone sees the same bug, try to give as as much as info
> as possible.  How often does it happen, under what circumstances,
> what is your setup etc etc.

Hi,

I think I've finally found a example to reproduce this bug. The sample
orgfile looks like this

---- orgfile starts here ---
# -*- mode: org -*-

* Tasks
** DONE some Task
** DONE some Task
** DONE some Task
** DONE some Task
** DONE some Task
** DONE some Task
* calendar
** some calendar entry
   <2008-02-10 Do 18:30>
---- orgfile ends here ----

instead of "......." please add many more similar lines (approx. 50) of "**
DONE some Task"

What I do is the following
- hide all sublevels via C-u TAB
- move cursor to  "* Tasks" cycle with TAB
- move cursor to second entry
- M-x calendar
- M-x org-calendar-goto-agenda
- within agenda move cursor to calendar entry
- press TAB

What happens is that focus is switched to org-file, but the cursor sits
on the 8th entry of "** DONE Some Task". When I move the cursor to the end
of my orgfile, I can see that the calendar entry is now correctly
reveal. Just the cursor position seems to be wrong. I tried using
edebug, but when stepping manually through org-agenda-goto, everything
went just fine and the cursor was positioned on the correct line?

When generating the above sample orgfile, the following aspects seemed
important.
- at least two lines before the entry "* Tasks", otherwise focus worked
  correctly
- many subentries below "* Tasks", I had the impression that frame has
  to be filled
- focus: the sublevels of "* calendar" must be hidden, maybe that
  explains, why position is found correctly on the second try.

I tried this on emacs 22.1.90 on windows with org-5.19a. I'll will test
this also with 5.20 (I just saw you did release it - I'm very much
looking forward to this release - Thank you !!)

Please inform me, if you need further information.

Best regards,

--
 Jost