[Orgmode] TODO dependencies

From: Stuart McLean
Subject: [Orgmode] TODO dependencies
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 07:45:10 -0800

Hi,

Sorry if I have started a new thread on this subject, GMail and I are
not getting along right now.

** TODO a main project
*** TODO step 1
*** TODO step 2
*** TODO step 3
**** TODO step 3 part a
**** TODO step 3 part b
**** TODO step 3 part c
and so on
*** TODO step 4

Here is the functionality that I would like, and (as I see it) that
would be possible with the hooks provided and extensions that the user
could write...

marking ** TODO a main project
as DONE would mark all subheadings done (say you did them all at once)

marking *** TODO step 1
as DONE would mark this item as done and no more, and so on for step two.

marking step three as DONE would mark step three and all children (a,
b, c) as done, again, say you did them all at once. However, if you
marked step 3, part a as DONE, then b (at a later time), then c, only
triggering "c" would mark *** TODO step 3 as DONE as well.

In other words marking a heading as DONE will mark all children as
DONE, marking children as DONE one-by-one will only mark the parent as
DONE when all the children are marked DONE.

Is this a correct understanding?

This is (one of the functionalities) I would like. Maybe it is already
possible, or I have misread something?

Thanks again for org-mode, *fantastic software*

Stuart