Re: [Orgmode] sexp timestamp behavior

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] sexp timestamp behavior
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 17:46:59 +0100

On Jan 10, 2008, at 2:56 AM, David C. Nelson wrote:

I've been playing around with org mode and I'm confused about the behavior of timestamps that are specified using sexps when displayed in the agenda. Specifically, if I schedule a TODO and specify a timestamp using a sexp, the TODO is not carried forward if it is past due. It does show on the day it was scheduled, but if the TODO is not done, the TODO is not carried forward as the manual says it should.

If I don't use a sexp timestamp, the TODO is carried forward if past due as expected.

I can't find anything in the manual that suggests sexp timestamps are treated differently.

Yes, the manual is not complete here.  I am adding the following text:

  You may use time stamps with repeaters in scheduling and deadline
  entries.  Org-mode will issue early and late warnings based on the
  assumption that the time stamp represents the nearest instance of
  the repeater.  However, the use of diary sexp entries like
  <%%(diary-float t 42)>
  in scheduling and deadline timestamps is limited.  Org-mode does not
know enough about the internals of each sexp function to issue early and
  late warnings.  However, it will show the item on each day where the
  sexp entry matches.

I hope this clarifies things.

- Carsten