[Orgmode] compose and send html email using orgmode

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: [Orgmode] compose and send html email using orgmode
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 11:44:38 -0800

Hi,

Using the attached file it is possible to compose mail using org-mode
(orgstruct, and orgtbl modes to be specific), and then send the mail
as a "text/html" mime message.  In effect WYSWYG html email
composition.  I find this very useful for sending lists and tables to
co-workers who use non-fixed-width-font email clients.

I put this together with the help of Rob form the gnu.emacs.vm.info
newsgroup, and I use it with VM, but it no-where mentions VM, and it
*should* work with any emacs email composition buffer.

To use place the attached file in your path, and add the following to
you .emacs file

;; org-mode in my mail
(setq mail-turn-on-full-org-mailing-first-time t)
(defun turn-on-full-org-mailing ()
  (if mail-turn-on-full-org-mailing-first-time
      (progn
        (org-publish (car (car org-publish-project-alist)))
        (setq mail-turn-on-full-org-mailing-first-time nil)))
  ;;(turn-on-orgstruct)
  (turn-on-orgstruct++)
  (turn-on-orgtbl)
  (load "org-html-mail.el"))
(add-hook 'mail-mode-hook 'turn-on-full-org-mailing)

Then when composing mail send as an html message by using a prefix
argument on the send command, so "\C-u\C-c\C-c".  Your mail will be
converted to html using org's export command, the appropriate mime
headers will be attached, and then your normal send command will be
executed.

Note: This is still very young, so here are some issues, and ideas for
improvement that the list may be able to help with. :)

1. it seems that for the org-export-as-html command to work, the
   buffer must be associated with a file, this adds some complexity to
   the process, is it possible to export-as-html without associating
   the buffer with a path?
2. if org-export-as-html has not yet been called since turning emacs
   on, then the following error occurs in org-export-as-html
        ------*Messages*-------
        Exporting... [2 times]
        byte-code: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
        ------*Messages*-------
   Hence they hacky turn-on-full-org-mailing function, and
   mail-turn-on-full-org-mailing-first-time variable
3. I would like to add the feature of automatically attaching, and
   linking to images from the html, but I haven't really started this,
   and I'm not sure how it would work, so any thoughts would be
   appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric

;; Eric Schulte
;; 2008-01-10
;;
;; WYSWYG, html mail composition using orgmode
;;
;; For mail composed using the orgstruct-mode minor mode, this
;; provides the option of sending the mail in html format using
;; org-export-as-html.
;;
;; To use place this file in your path, and add the following to you
;; .emacs file
;;
[...]

(defun orgstruct-hijacker-command-11 (arg)
  "In Structure, run `org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c'. Outside of Structure
check for a prefix argument and if buffer name contains `mail',
and run orgstruct-send-as-html, or run the binding of
`\C-c\C-c'."
  (interactive "p")
  (if (org-context-p (quote headline) (quote item))
      (org-run-like-in-org-mode (quote org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c))
    (if (orgstruct-send-as-html-should-i-p arg)
        (orgstruct-send-as-html)
      (let (orgstruct-mode)
        (call-interactively
         (key-binding "\C-c\C-c"))))))

(defun orgstruct-send-as-html-should-i-p (arg)
  "lets be pretty sure we have a prefix argument and are actually
in a mail buffer"
  (goto-char (point-min))
  (if (and arg
           (> arg 1)
           (string-match "mail" (buffer-name (current-buffer)))
           (search-forward mail-header-separator))
      t))

;; TODO something needs to load when org exports to html, it works
;; when I have already exported an org file, but not if I haven't
;; since turning on emacs
(defun orgstruct-send-as-html ()
  "Export the body of the mail message to html using
`org-export-as-html' then send the results as a text/html
Content-Type message"
  ;; adjust mime type
  (goto-char (point-min))
  (insert "MIME-Version: 1.0\n")
  (insert "Content-Type: text/html\n")
  (search-forward mail-header-separator)
  (let* ((mail-text-point (point))
         (mail-buffer (current-buffer))
         ;; have to write the file because org needs a path to export
         (tmp-file (make-temp-name (expand-file-name "schulte" "/tmp/")))
         ;; because we probably don't want to skip part of our mail
         (org-export-skip-text-before-1st-heading nil)
         (html
          (progn
            (write-file tmp-file)
            ;; convert to html
            (org-export-region-as-html mail-text-point (point-max) t 'string))))
    (switch-to-buffer mail-buffer)
    (set-visited-file-name nil)
    (delete-file tmp-file)
    ;; replace text with html