Re: [Orgmode] FUD on my part re: downloading revisions?

From: William Case
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] FUD on my part re: downloading revisions?
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 19:01:52 -0500

Thanks Pete;

On Tue, 2008-01-01 at 23:13 +0000, Pete Phillips wrote:
> Hi Bill

>     William> The script downloaded things successfully and opened all??
>     William> files in /home/bill/emacs/lisp/org with a link to org-5.17a
>
>     William> I would just install from a tarball, but I am still
>     William> uncertain exactly which directory I want to copy to, unzip
>     William> and make from.  The only 'org' file I have is
>     William> /usr/share/emacs/22.1/lisp/textmodes/org.elc
>
> I'm confused.
>
> How can the script have worked and compiled but not left an org.elc in
> /home/bill/emacs/lisp/org  ?
>
> Can you tell me whether the compile worked ? has it left an org.elc in
> /home/bill/emacs/lisp/org  ?

Yes. /home/bill/emacs/lisp/org/org..elc exists.

> Also, have you added a line to your .emacs along the lines of
>
>       (add-to-list 'load-path "/home/bill/emacs/lisp/org/")
No.  But I do have
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org$" . org-mode)) as was
recommended.  Org-4.67 worked with that line.

I replaced '(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org$" . org-mode)) with
"(add-to-list 'load-path "/home/bill/emacs/lisp/org/")" and version
5.17a now opens.

> If not, that would explain why it is not loading up.
>
> For the permissions stuff, I'm guessing here, but if you untarred it as
> root, root will restore the files with the original permissions, not
> yours.
>
> Try removing /home/bill/emacs/lisp/org-5.17a, and
> /home/bill/emacs/lisp/org, and running as yourself, not root.

I just did.  All the permissions are now correct.

I am going to have to really dig into this.  It is working as a result
of following "button-push" instructions (and I thank you for that), but
I really don't understand what is going on.

No response needed; more of a note to myself.

--
Regards Bill