Re: [Orgmode] FUD on my part re: downloading revisions?

From: Pete Phillips
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] FUD on my part re: downloading revisions?
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 23:13:05 +0000

Hi Bill

    William> The script downloaded things successfully and opened all??
    William> files in /home/bill/emacs/lisp/org with a link to org-5.17a

    William> I would just install from a tarball, but I am still
    William> uncertain exactly which directory I want to copy to, unzip
    William> and make from.  The only 'org' file I have is
    William> /usr/share/emacs/22.1/lisp/textmodes/org.elc

I'm confused.

How can the script have worked and compiled but not left an org.elc in
/home/bill/emacs/lisp/org  ?

Can you tell me whether the compile worked ? has it left an org.elc in
/home/bill/emacs/lisp/org  ?

Also, have you added a line to your .emacs along the lines of

        (add-to-list 'load-path "/home/bill/emacs/lisp/org/")

If not, that would explain why it is not loading up.

For the permissions stuff, I'm guessing here, but if you untarred it as
root, root will restore the files with the original permissions, not
yours.

Try removing /home/bill/emacs/lisp/org-5.17a, and
/home/bill/emacs/lisp/org, and running as yourself, not root.

Pete