Re: [Orgmode] emacs on the N800

From: Tim O'Callaghan
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] emacs on the N800
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 18:34:02 +0100

> Now, OS2008 can work in host-mode (I have tested it myself). This
> means you can attach any external keyboard. Some people have luck with
> the apple bluetooth keyboard. I own a bluetooth IPaq keyboard (but I
> haven't been able to connect it to it under OS 2008). So when I really
> need to use emacs, I can always connect a real keyboard. Not ideal for
> standing up, but way more practical than a virtual keyboard when
> sitting.

AFAIK the Apple BT keyboard, is a standard BT HID device. I tested it
myself against my cell phone. I also tested that weird laser keyboard,
but it requires some setup-configuration to work properly and AFAIK
the config client is windows only. I have a thinkoutside BT HID
profile keyboard and it works fine with my n800. I even have a
nonstandard 'freedom' BT keyboard, but i saw that it can be added with
some mucking about in xmodmap i think.

A 'real' USB keyboard could be added, you need to flip the usb into
host mode - which can be done in debug mode. The problem is it needs
to be externally powered. The n800 does not have the USB power line
connected - probably because it was designed as a client device.

I would be interested in playing with emacs and org on an n800 as
well, but without a keyboard, i just don't see it being any use.

Tim.