Re: [Orgmode] Feature request - add a new heading with a lower level tha

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Feature request - add a new heading with a lower level than current
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 22:13:24 +0000

On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 09:03:15AM +1100, Charles Cave wrote:
> org-mode has the feature of entering M-RET to insert a heding with the same
> level as current.
>
> I would like a command to enter a new headline at a level BELOW the current
> headline.  The command key binding could be a modificaton to M-RET maybe
> adding
> the ctl or shift key.
>
> The reason for this functionality is when using org-mode for brainstorming.
> I want to quickly add more than one child heading to the current heading.
> Adding the first child heading is slower because I have to do a M-RET
> backspace backspace  asterisk (*) space the continue.  The next headline
> is added with a M-RET.
>
> Mindmapping programs call this a Rapid Fire brainstorming.
>
> If someone coud suggest how to modify the org-el code to do so this would be
> great. I found references to overriding the self-insert-command function but
> couldn
> find how M-Ret is implemented.

Hi Charles,

I suggested this a few months ago:

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/2420/focus=2653

and Carsten kindly included a simplified version in the distribution:

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/2420/focus=2653

Therefore you only need to bind keys to org-insert-subheading and
org-insert-todo-subheading to take advantage of the code.

M-RET is a useful binding to keep, so I personally bind M-j and M-J
for org-insert-subheading and org-insert-todo-subheading respectively
(actually I use my more complicated versions, but the suggestion still
applies).

HTH,
Adam