Re: [Orgmode] list format questions

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] list format questions
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 18:50:11 +0100

On  7Nov2007, at 6:32 PM, Eddward DeVilla wrote:

Hi,

I have a couple of question about list formatting. Given the example file:

==== sample.org ====

* [/] investigate
  - [ ] Q1 -- A1 \\
        more A1
  - [ ] Q2 is a really, really, long Q and needs to be described in
excruciating detail.
  - [ ] Q3

====================

In Q1, the '\\' would force a line break when exported.  Should/can it
force a line break when using M-q to wrap lines?  If I use M-q on Q1,
the line below it wraps up to the same line as Q1.

I don't think so, I would not know how to do this.  Emacs uses
regular expressions to detect paragraphs, and these are matched
against the beginning of a line.

I think this would mean implementing our own
paragraph-filling functions.  Too much work for now...

In Q2, if I use M-q or auto wrap to wrap it, the word 'excruciating'
is indented so it aligns with the opening brace.  If I were to
manually hit newline after anywhere before that and press tab to
indent before continuing to type, it aligns with 'Q' in 'Q2'.
Afterwards, the either indentation is maintained properly with M-q or
auto wrap.  Is there an option I'm missing that I could use to make
tab and M-q & auto wrap to favor the same alignment, preferably 'Q2'?
I know list indenting was a can of worms before and I don't want to
suggest new behavior if it would clash with the current behavior.

Same here - I guess this could in some ways be seen as bug in Emacs,
but I am not really sure.

- Carsten