Re: [Orgmode] Emphasis and bold in quotation

From: Eddward DeVilla
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Emphasis and bold in quotation
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 21:45:31 -0600

On Nov 7, 2007 5:13 PM, Daniel J. Sinder <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 11/07/2007 10:16 AM, Eddward DeVilla wrote:
> > Say:
> >  [*|This is [/|really] important!].  No. [*/_|Really!]

> in use @</u>@</i>.

I don't export much myself.  I like it to be readable (and hopefully
pretty) in the org-mode buffer.  I've never considered vanilla html
code readable.  It's pretty nice how font lock handles the current
way.  It just seems to have too many corner cases.  I was trying to
think of something that could present well in the org buffer using
font-lock and/or whatever magic links and timestamps use while also
exporting well to all the exportable formats, including but not
limited to html.  I am assuming that font-lock can handle matching
braces.

My first thought was to use something like *[text-n-stuff] but though
that was ugly.  It struck me that links do magic with [hidden|visible]
and though that the markup could be in the hidden area and affect the
face of the visible area.  I figure someone will eventually ask for
nesting so I suggested it upfront figure it would be shot down
immediately for technical limitations or be consider for future
enhancement.

> I say bring the simple, single-character markup back to the original
> incarnation:  *one* word /only/.

Well, that would fix the corner cases.  I'm not sure that's what most
people would want.  I'd guess most  people using the feature would
prefer to keep the text formating with its current warts rather than
markup stuff seem to be an unruly stepchild in the org-mode tool kit
and it might be worth fixing with some finality, even if it is to go
back to just go back to single word markup.

Edd