[Orgmode] Re: Agenda view resizes frames

From: Dan Griswold
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Agenda view resizes frames
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 07:20:25 -0400

> On Oct 14, 2007, at 20:02, Sebastjan Trepca wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> when I open agenda view it always resizes the frame and ruins my
>> current frames. How could I fix that, so that it stays in the frame
>> where I executed the command and doesn't resize it?
>
> Use the selfdocumenting power of Emacs:

> Ahh, the current value is `reorganize-frame', which is why it messes
> up my frame...
> - Carsten

This was somewhat helpful to me, but mostly in helping me track down
the problem.

The issue (for me, anyway) is that "reorganize-frame" does not work
the same as it used to. For example, let's assume that I have the
*Calendar* buffer displayed, and my agenda will by default display the
whole week, which happens to be very busy lately. Then, when I call
org-agenda-list, the result is that I can see only the last line or
two of the calendar.

This is not what used to happen in previous versions of
org-mode. Looking for something that would account for the change in
behavior, I found a difference in org-fit-agenda-window. In short,
that function has this as its affirmative result in version 10b:

      (fit-window-to-buffer nil (/ (* (frame-height) 3) 4)
                             (/ (frame-height) 2))

while in version 12c it is simply:

      (fit-window-to-buffer)

Then, in a V-8 moment (doh!) I thought to check the Changelog, wherein
I found this note:

    (org-fit-agenda-window): Limitations on window size removed.

So, this was an intentional change. It must have been for an important
reason.

However, the previous functionality actually worked better for me than
the current definition of org-fit-agenda-window (more of the
(week-long) agenda listed, with all of the calendar but no wasted
space for the calendar). I also liked what it delivered better than
what results now from having org-agenda-window-setup set to
`other-window', which simply splits the window in two. I can't say
whether this is what the OP was after as well.

At any rate, I'll adjust, by having this option set to other-window,
and changing the value of org-agenda-ndays to 1.

Thanks,

Dan

--
Dan Griswold