Re: [Orgmode] Using org-remember to include stored link?

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Using org-remember to include stored link?
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 17:33:44 +0200

On Oct 14, 2007, at 14:05, Georg C. F. Greve wrote:

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 08:14:10 +0200
Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:

is it possible to call org-remember to insert a previously stored
link?

 cd> The remember buffer is in org-mode, you can just call C-c C-l to
 cd> insert any previously stored link...

True. Although that means I would need to delete the link that is
inserted by the template, and then insert the one I want. I'd prefer
this to happen with fewer keystrokes. If I could call org-mode with a
customized template to insert the stored link without being prompted for
the other templates, that would be great.

Ideally for what I have in mind the templates would not be defined per
file. That dependency really is not useful in my case.

You can use nil for the file name and still provide a headline,
I believe.  I see now that the customization interface does not
allow this - I will change this.

In combination with something that inserts the last stored link into the
template automatically, I could then have the fastest way of turning
outgoing mail into WAITING items in the correct file.

See http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/org-mairix.el function

 org-mairix-message-send-and-exit-with-link

For this specific application, you might consider a different route:

- Define a prefix argument for this function.  When given, org-remember
will be called directly by the function, with a custom template into which
you can insert the link.  If you use `let' to define a local value
for org-remember-templates, that template will be used for this call.

So I mean that you end your org-mairix-send-and-exit-with-link
with something like this (totally untested, only a draft):

(when arg

  (let ((org-remember-templates
'((?w (concat "* WAITING %?\n " (format "[[%s][%s]]" link desc))
                nil ; no file name
                "WAITING" ; the headline
                ))))
       (org-remember)))

Since we are only defining a single template, you will not even be prompted
for the template but directly placed into the remember buffer.

- Carsten